Crispy Tempeh with Vegetables Recipe
Hello! It's been a hot minute since the last time I have written a new recipe to you guys from my kitchen. Welcome to March, the time where days are getting longer, the weather is warmer and hopefully, our bodies are looking better?!
I am doing this interesting experiment where I try to eat high protein-based meals throughout the day to help me reduce some body fat and grow muscle. Here is the newest recipe video I have made for you guys to watch and hopefully make it as well.
This recipe will not take you too much to make if you prepare most of the ingredients in advance. Before we start I just want to list a little bit of background about tempeh and its health benefits.
What is tempeh?
Tempeh is a fermented soy product that’s made of cooked, dehulled soybeans that are inoculated with mold, packed, and incubated until the beans are bound together by the mycelium. This unique fermentation process creates prebiotics which has been known to promote gut health. It is a great way to get Vitamins B, fiber, iron, calcium and other minerals. 100g of tempeh has 19g of protein! Hello, vegan protein source!
Here is what you will need for this recipe
• 200 g tempeh
• 3 cloves garlic minced
• 2 tsp ginger (grated)
• 3 tbsp. olive oil
• 4 tbsp. soy sauce
• 1 lime juice
• 3 dashes of salt
• 3 tbsp. water
• 2 tbsp. agave syrup
• 250g broccoli
• 3 mid-size carrots
• 80g. leek
• 2-3 Tbsp. water
Fried Chickpeas Mix:
• 1 mid-size onion
• 450g chickpeas (canned or cooked in the water in advanced)
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 1 tsp white pepper
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp grounded cumin
• 1 & 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
Directions for cooking:
• Cut tempeh into the bite-size pieces.
• In the mixing bowl add minced garlic, grated ginger, olive oil, soy sauce, lime juices, salt, water and agave syrup. Mix it all together until it is well combined. Add pieces of tempeh and gently with the spoon coat it. Put it aside in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to marinade.
• Preheat the oven to 200℃ or 400℉
• Chop onion into tiny pieces and add it into the mixing bowl together with chickpeas. Add curry powder, white pepper, garlic powder, cumin and olive oil. Mix it all together.
• Take the baking sheet and lay the baking paper. Add the chickpeas on top and make sure they are evenly distributed. Place it in the preheated oven for around 30 minutes.
• Chop the vegetables into the bite-size pieces.
• Fish out tempeh out of the marinate on a separate plate. Do not throw away the marinade because it will be used for steaming the vegetables.
• Preheat the pan with olive oil and cook tempeh until it is light brown. After that remove the tempeh to a separate plate for a little bit.
• Use the same pan and add water with vegetables. Stir it & fry it for a couple of minutes until it softens. Add the leftover marinade and let it steam for 3 more minutes.
• Add chickpeas from the oven and stir it.
• Reduce the heat to a minimum and add back the crispy tempeh into a mix.
• The dish is ready to be served!
Nutritional label is provided based on the ingredients list. Use it as the guidance.